Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday's Tail of the Homeless

I'm starting a new series called "Tuesday's Tail of the Homeless."  Each Tuesday I'll feature a homeless dog from a rescue group.  I know these groups to be reputable.  All of them are non-profit groups that operate through a series of foster homes.  They adopt via their websites or at local adopt-a-pet locations. 

Why adopt from a rescue group?  Some people would rather adopt directly from a shelter thinking it's less expensive or that they're saving a dog in a kill shelter from being euthanized.  I've used these reasons myself.  What I've learned is this:

  o  Every dog you adopt from a rescue group leaves a space for that group to pull another dog from the city shelters.  So you are most definitely saving a life.

  o  I've adopted from a city shelter for as little as $20.  I immediately turned around and spent $200 - $300 for a good grooming, a routine physical exam and shots.  Rescue groups have their dogs vetted with a minimum of routine shots and spay/neuter surgeries if needed.  Many have any health issues treated at their own expense - even dental work.  The adoption fee is often a great deal - and is tax deductible if the group is a 501(c)(3) group.

  o  There's usually little a volunteer can tell you about a dog when you visit a city shelter.  Since rescue dogs have been living in a foster home, its foster parent can share any behavioral issues they've exhibited.  They can probably tell you if the dog gets along with other dogs, cats or kids.  Some are even willing to allow an overnight visit to ensure compatibility with your family.

  o  Volunteers at rescue groups are a remarkable breed of humans.  They give so much of their time and money to provide a safe haven for homeless animals.  Now, they are giving a dog that's been a part of their family to virtual strangers.  To ensure that potential adopters will make good pet parents, they will require an application with references.  Many will conduct a home visit to ensure adequate facilities for a dog.  Think of what precautions you would take if the roles were reversed.

All in all, it would be easier to say why not adopt from a rescue group!

Now, onto today's Tuesday Tail.  The first rescue group I'd like to feature is Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of North Texas (MSRNT).  I've been a life-long lover of miniature schnauzers and have been Mom to six of them throughout my life.  My sweet, sweet Jason was adopted from MSRNT in 2005.

Of the dogs available on MSRNT's website, Duke caught my eye.  Here's a bit of info on him: 

Meet Duke, a friendly 4-year-old who arrived at MSRNT after being surrendered by his family. Like a bright summer day, this boy is full of sunshine and approaches life with enthusiasm. At 19 pounds, he’s a healthy, active little guy who is housetrained and makes a good impression on everyone he meets. If you’re looking for a spirited, lively, good-natured companion, look no further. Duke is your boy!"

Duke also has his own Petfinder.com page with additional photos here.

I've seen quite a few listings with phrases like "surrendered by his family" or "surrendered out of necessity" lately.   I have to ask myself how dire the situation would have to be before I'd abandon one of my dogs.  If their situation is truly that dire, I feel very sorry for these families.  But I sometimes wonder when I see that the pet was surrendered to a kill shelter or when I see intake photos where the animal was in very rough shape.  Please share your thoughts on this subject. 

If you know of anyone who would be interested in meeting Duke, volunteering or able to make a donation, please have them contact MSRNT via their website, Facebook Page or email at Rescue@MSRNT.com



No comments:

Post a Comment